Home > PowerGUI, PowerGUI Pro, PowerShell > PowerShell support in Visual Studio!

PowerShell support in Visual Studio!

Update 20-Jun-2010: This is now released as a beta! It supports Intellisense and Syntax Highlighting for any modules you have loaded in PowerGUI, as well as PowerGUI Snippets! Go download it here now!

Here’s something really cool for all the developer types out there.  Adam Driscoll, one of the developers here at Quest Software, is working on an extension for Visual Studio 2010 that integrates PowerGUI Script Editor functionality into the Visual Studio 2010 IDE!  It’s not released yet, but you can learn more about it on the PowerGUI VSX site on CodePlex.  Here’s a teaser screenshot to whet your tastebuds:

I’d love to hear your feedback on this, so please leave comments and let me know if this is of interest to you or not.

Thanks,

Kirk out.

About these ads
  1. June 16, 2010 at 11:03 am

This is awesome! I cannot wait to see this released!

2. June 16, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I want it. I’ve been wanting it for months. Yes please!

3. Andes
    June 16, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I’ll second the above :)

4. Jon Kreft
    June 16, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I like it! Makes it more likely for me to use the PowerShell. I must admit, I have not used PowerShell much at all since its keyboard driven. (Yes, I am lazy sometimes)

5. June 16, 2010 at 5:46 pm

A colleague has been toying with a PowerShell syntax highlighter vsix. I was getting involved and looking into intellisense.

This looks great. Would like to kick the tires.

6. ANP
    June 17, 2010 at 1:55 am

This is an extremely welcome initiative. Thanks!

7. Klaus Schulte
    June 17, 2010 at 2:01 am

That’s obviously the one thing Microsoft didn’t want to do for the scripters!
    I have been waiting for this feature all the time!!
    So … Let us know, when it is ready!!! ( Hopefully pretty soon ?! :-)

kind regards, Klaus.

8. XrstalLens
    October 12, 2010 at 11:37 pm

PowerGUI is really cool and does great IntelliSense and syntax coloring, as well as full debugging support. However, the integration with VS has a significant issue which is that it’s not using the VS text editor. Instead, the PowerGUI editor is inside the VS window. If that is what you’re looking for, then great, but for me the main reason to edit inside VS is to get all my keyboard customizations (plus my own coloring scheme) and unfortunately you don’t get these with the PowerGUI plug-in.

• Kirk Munro
      October 20, 2010 at 5:25 pm

That’s great feedback, I’ll pass that on to Adam Driscoll so that he can think about it. Thanks for sharing!

1. June 21, 2010 at 11:05 pm